25th Anniversary The Poison Review Podcast: Wild, Wacky and Weird Toxicology Articles From The Last Quarter-Century
“It is universally well known, that in ingesting our common food, there is created or produced in the bowels of human creatures, a great quantity of wind.” Benjamin Franklin
- Does Beano prevent gas? A double-blind crossover study of oral alpha-galactosidase to treat dietary oligosaccharide intolerance. Ganiats TG et al. J Fam Pract 1994 Nov;39:441-5.
- An air stewardess with puzzling diarrhoea. Greaves RR et al. Lancet 1996 Nov 30;348:1488
- Lithium intoxication of unusual origin. Pristach CA. Psychosomatics 1987 Dec;28:632, 634
- Hydrochlorate of Cocaine — Experiments and Application. Knapp H. The Medical Record October 25, 1884.
- Acute renal toxicity after ingestion of Lava light liquid. Erickson TB et al. Ann Emerg Med 1996 Jun;27:781-4.
Stool osmolar gap = 290 – 2*(stool Na + stool K) [normal 50-100 mOsm/kg]
If stool osmolar gap < 50, diarrhea is secretory
If stool osmolar gap > 100, diarrhea is osmotic
Osmotic diarrhea will resolve with fasting; secretory diarrhea will not
Here is a link to a stool osmolar gap calculator
To read WebMD’s discussion of cases similar to that of the airline stewardess,
NOTE: As indicated above, current thinking is that a normal stool osmolar gap is
between 50 and 100 mOsm/kg. Interestingly, by that measure the stool
osmolar gap in this case of the air stewardess with puzzling diarrhea was
Other items discussed on the podcast:
Your Own Perfect Medicine (book)
To read my “Toxicology Rounds” column on autourotherapy, click here
Quizzler (Podcast #11): In James Joyce’s novel Ulysses, Leopold Bloom’s father had committed suicide by self-poisoning. The Quizzler: what agent did Rudolph Bloom (né Rudolph Virág) use to kill himself? The answer: aconite. The winner, Dr. Richard Hamilton of Philadelphia, received a TPR t-shirt. Congratulations to Dr. Hamilton!
This episode’s Quizzler is at the end of the podcast. The winner will receive a $10 Amazon gift certificate as well as the TPR t-shirt. Our rules have changed slightly. Rather than awarding the prize to the first correct answer, we will take all correct answers submitted before the deadline and randomly select a winner. The deadline for submission is October 11, 2016, 6 pm (Chicago time.) Send submissions to: email@example.com. Good luck!